- Finding the problem with our
Panasonic DMRE85H HDD Recorder -




It got stuck in that PLEASE WAIT state...



Investigating a bit on the internet, I found a possible cause
may lie with 2 capacitors on the power supply circuitry...

ATTENTION!!!
The below explanation is simply about the modifications I have done to conduct a study, NOT to repair!
Do NOT repeat! Making the below modification will make your device into a possible fire hazard!
You should take your device to an authorized service center instead of making the repair at home!
*** You have been clearly warned ***




...so I decided to DIY... All right, let's get to it...



Removing the cover let's you access the inside.
The power supply circuit is under the harddisk... (sure, where else)



Removed the upper plate holding the HDD.



Removed the HDD. (btw, watch out for the connections )



After removing the HDD base plate, we get access to the power circuit.



Yep, those capacitors gone baaaad...
( the ones oozin' yellow liquid )



In order to get to the bottom of the circuit,
one needs to remove all the other parts... (but of course)



BTW... since I had to remove it, I had a look inside the DVD unit...



BTW... and that green is the the computer circuit.



Ok, got all the "peripherial" units out...



Now this was the "what shall I do with that" part...
I chose not to break the connections, simply folded
up the power supply circuit and supported it with a
screwdriver while soldering the bottom...



First removed the bad capacitors by melting the connection points on the under side.
I used a small screwdriver to slowly pry the capacitors away from the board...



Next I soldered in the closest "matching" capacitors I found in Radio Shack...
These capacitors do NOT meet the required specifications!
1. The original capacitors are frequency tuned and the value of the replacement parts is critical.
2. I have installed axial lead capacitors in place of radial lead capacitors.
3. I did not install Hi-Temp capacitors.
Because of the above changes, this is NOT a safe alternative!!!
The reason for MY modifications were to see if the problem is indeed in the capacitors and
NOT to conduct a repair!
These changes constitute a safety hazard if deployed!
Bring your device to an authorized service center instead of doing the repair at home!




I made sure that there is "proper" insulation...
Again, this is only so that I can test if this solves the problem...



Than came putting everything back in the reverse order and ...
... voilá, it works again...
Remember, these capacitors do NOT meet the requirements for deployment!



These babies are now a landfill somewhere in Foster City, CA...
( Yes, bad joke, but sadly might be true )


Go back to the Home Project page.